Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Goodbye JBoss

So after less than 6 months after starting to work for JBoss I decided to quit and accept an offer from Sopera. In hindsight, I'm thinking that talking about the career publicly is not always the very best idea - spending such a short period of time at one of the leading company in the industry is not something that will improve my CV.

Back in April/May I was indeed looking forward to that great opportunity and it was not a stop-gap measure by any means. But CXF and CXF JAXRS are calling me back - it is next to impossible to resist. I'll blog about it next but this post is about JBoss and I'd like to talk about it a bit.

Just 6 months ago I had a fairly vague idea about what JBoss were doing, apart from knowing that they were part of RedHat, that it was an application server and that their JBossWS project was providing a CXF JAXWS integration option. And of course I knew about RestEasy.

In the reality, JBoss is a very live, active and progressive project, with a lot of very clever and innovative people working on it and who are really passionate about JBoss. And they have a very open and democratic environment with everyone being able to express their thoughts aloud.

I've promised in my previous post I'd link to various JBoss subprojects. Here are the links to some of them :

JBossWS : Web Service Framework for JBoss AS
RestEasy : JAX-RS implementation with various features
PicketLink : STS, etc
JBossTS : While many are saying that WS transactions support is next to impossible to provide this team just does it
HornetQ : Putting the buzz in messaging


As far as I'm concerned it is obvious I've given away the real opportunity with a great company. That said, the life is about many opportunities, and I'm about to pursue the new and exciting one, with the young and innovative company.

Goodbye JBoss, Hello Sopera !

No comments: